Thri-Kreen of Athas: There are six species of Thri-Kreen in the
Tyr Region as well as three subspecies located beyond the Jagged Cliffs.
All have four arms and a strong exoskeleton.
March 20, 2020
Two developers are making steady progress on a new engine for DarkSun 1, with the intent to produce a Darksun 2 remake and DarkSun Online Crimson Sand afterwards. Recently we have been able to parse the GPL (Game Programming Language) and are able to run most of the scripts. This has enabled us to get allt eh graphics, raw sound files, and text from the GFFs. Next come the long train of translating that into a modern Engine.
What we have:
- We have an intro screen with the start of character creation.
- GPL (Game Programming Language) is parsing and we are hooking up the logic to our engine
- Hopefully in the coming months we will get a process to release preview builds for people to test.
Naturally, We are still looking for help;
- Manager/Task Master: Online projects are notoriously hard to keep everything straight and everyone on the right track. Anyone with detail-oriented task based management would help. This will especially be an issue once the team grows.
- Subject Matter Experts (AKA people who have played DSO: Crimson Sand): Sadly, few of us were able to play DSO: Crimson Sand (I, personally, had no money at the time.) So people who played DSO: Crimson Sand are need to help guide the look feel and mechanics of the old system. Please come to the chat and help us!
- Developers: There is a lot of coding involved and help with deciphering old resource files (.GFF) and building a client/server will help.
- Testers: These are always needed. The more testing done up front the quicker this project will complete. Testers can be from simply running code on your machine to writing unit tests. All types are welcomed.
There is interest in getting the old DSO Crimson Sand Server up and running. If anyone legally has the source code for the server, please message me on the forums! I'd love to get that thing back up and running!
As always post in the forums (Community tab) to say hi or click on
Chat for our Discord!